Friday, November 27, 2009

I bought a new system with a 320 gig HD, but when I go to instal windows it says there is only 130 g

I am installing a copy of windows XP pro



I bought a new system with a 320 gig HD, but when I go to instal windows it says there is only 130 gigs on it?windows installer



Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later. 48-bit LBA is needed for large hard drives.



I bought a new system with a 320 gig HD, but when I go to instal windows it says there is only 130 gigs on it?microsoft vista internet explorer



There are several possibilities:



1) You can have multiple partitions. If you go to My Computer, do you have more than one drive letter?



2) To double check to see if you have a 320GB hard drive, you can go into the BIOS at bootup.



3) Go to Start %26gt; Run and type in "compmgmt.msc". Go to Storage %26gt; Disk Management. Here you can see if you have unallocated hard drive space.



What concerns me is that 130GB is the maximum capacity of some older BIOS. I hope you are not installing a new hard drive into an old system.



Also, what type of partition did you set up? FAT16, FAT32, NTFS. NTFS is the best.
Because windows is deaf dumb and blind and you should be installing some distribution of linux anyway. ;-) JK



You will have to divide the drive into seperate partitions, or get a disc which has SP1 on it.



For Microsoft's official answer to this problem:



http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316505/e...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
military loans